I have crossed paths with Pastor Kevin Sanders in the Philippines before we moved to the United States in 2015. He was a missionary and worked with youth and students in Manila and in Pampanga. He has lived in the Philippines for a total of 11 years! He can also understand and speak Tagalog. Interestingly, he is also friends with Melvin Guerrero, who I interviewed in an earlier blog post and video.
In this interview, Kuya Kevin and I talk about many things:
- his experience as an American missionary in the Philippines;
- how he met his wife in the Philippines, got married, and moved back to the US;
- what he has learned after being married to a Filipina;
- what it is like becoming a father, and raising a biracial kid; and
- some nuances and corrections about perceptions on American family culture, as well as some challenges he has seen among families of overseas Filipinos.